Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let the bloggin begin!

Welcome to MEdia-Makeover.
The place to visit for my musings on misbehaved media.

To kick things off I have to start with something positive. England.
What's positive about England?
They are DOING something about the media mayhem that has terrorized young girls and women for decades.


http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/news/models-look-like-real-women-shock-1877360.html


It seems the Brits are ahead of the curve....let's hope it catches like wildfire. (thank you Lisa Tan for the tip on this news story)


TO NAME A THING.
I really had a challenge choosing a BLOG name. So many good ones were already taken and floating unattended since 2002. My good friend Julie suggested Mangled Media - which was very tempting. Then she suggested Make Herstory! I snapped it up just moments ago.


HOW DID I GET STARTED ON THIS PATH?
I've been interested in media literacy or bringing to light certain media groups manipulative ways since taking a class in 10th grade. Maybe even before this, but I know for certain the concept took root during high school.

In tenth grade, I had a terrific teacher who taught a class called "Man in Society" (why it excludes Woman in Society is beyond me) and in his class he opened our eyes to the media's manipulation through advertisements. We did research and essays on the subject. I WAS FASCINATED. Later, in grade twelve I wrote a speech on false advertising - FORD was the company I chose since my father had years of complaints with their product, supplying me with plenty to investigate. During university I joined the ranks of jet set models with Elite and I was exposed to false advertising and took part in it! This is one of the reasons I walked away from a $2000 a day pay check. My conscience wouldn't allow me to continue it as a career.

Thus began my career as a writer and documentary film maker. My first doco is entitled 'Cover Girl Culture' and was made with great trepidation because I knew very well the level of 'sinister' that operated within the system and thought it would be pointless to pursue. But an unseen force guided the way, doors opened when others thought it impossible and I was teamed up with exactly who was required to make the film happen. Now the hurdle is getting the word out about the film and have the media help do it! ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment